Throughout my tenure in the State legislature, I have advocated education as an economic empowerment issue. Education holds the key to our empowerment. Therefore, I have done a lot in the area of education and youth development.
- Opposed cuts to education
- Voted to restore the state funding of reduced-fare metrocards to students
- Introduced legislation that protects the rights and safety of teachers
- Worked tirelessly to increase state aid to our schools; voted for record increase of $21.5 billion and delivered over $1.7 billion in classroom aid to NYC satisfying the Campaign for Fiscal Equity (CFE) court decision.
- Advocated to improve student-teacher ratio, reduce class size, decrease the digital divide, and build more public schools
- Developed board to create charter schools
- Involvement Leave Act